Cook time3 hours 20 minutes
- 8 English Style Short Ribs (bone in, about 2x3 inches)
- 2 Tbsp of Neutral Oil, I used Avocado Oil
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 6 Cloves of Garlic, peeled but left whole
- 4oz of Tomato Paste
- 3 cups of Dry Red Wine
- 2-1/2 cups of Beef Stock
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Thyme
- One Bunch of Parsley
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- Salt to taste
- 2 Anchovies, optional
1) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a heavy duty Dutch oven, add the oil, get it nice and hot over medium heat, meanwhile season all sides of the short ribs with salt and pepper and sear them on all sides (in batches).
2) Remove all the fat rendered from the short ribs (leave behind any browned bits), add a small drizzle of oil and sauté the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt until softened.
3) Add the tomato paste, stir it in for about 30 seconds, then add the stock, wine and thyme, nestle your seared short ribs in the broth (bone side up) cover, pop in the oven for a few hours or until the meat is super tender. Allow the short ribs to rest for 30 minutes after cooking, while that happens, make the gremolata.
4) Chop the parsley, garlic and anchovies (if you're using them) very finely, add to a bowl along with the lemon zest and a pinch of salt, give it a toss and set aside.
5) Remove the short ribs to a platter, strain all the sauce through a fat separator, reserve the sauce and discard the fat.
6) Pour the sauce all over the short ribs and sprinkle the gremolata over the top then serve.
Report a problem