Cook time2 hours 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1lb of Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 1lb of Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno, minced or left whole for more mild flavor
- 3 Tbsp of chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp of Cumin
- 1 Tbsp of Oregano
- 2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 8oz of Beer, Lager is my choice
- 2-14oz cans of Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1-14oz can of Kidney Beans, rinsed
- 2 cups of Beef Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a large heavy duty pot or Dutch oven, add the olive oil, allow it to get nice and hot over high heat, add the sausage and ground beef, break it up as much as you can with a wooden spoon and cook until just about fully cooked through.
2) If your beef and sausage rendered too much fat, discard most of it leaving behind just a couple tablespoons. To the beef, add the onion, garlic and jalapeno (if using minced) season with a good pinch of salt and saute on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
3) Add the spices (including the brown sugar) cook while constantly stirring for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, stir that around for another 30 seconds then add the beer and once again, cook for 30 more seconds.
4) Add the diced tomatoes, beef stock and kidney beans, bring to a boil, partially cover, lower the heat to low, cook while occasionally stirring for a couple hours, adjust the seasoning to taste and serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar and some chopped scallions if desired.
Report a problem