Cook time minutes
- 1 lb of Clean Whole SquidFor the filling,
- ½ cup Plain Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tbsp of Kalamata Olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Capers
- 1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Parsley
- 2 Olive Oil
- 1 Small Clove of Garlic, finely minced
- Salt and Pepper to tasteFor the sauce,
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, sliced
- Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes
- 1 32oz Can of Italian Peeled and Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ cup of Tomato Puree
- 1 cup of Dry White Wine
- Few Leaves of Fresh Basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a large bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients and set aside.
2) Using a teaspoon fill each squid with the filling, going about ¾ of the way full. Secure with a toothpick and set aside.
3) Preheat a large non stick skillet with high sides over medium high heat. Sautee the garlic in the olive oil until golden and fragrant. Add the hot pepper flakes and cook for a few more seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato puree and the wine. Bring to a boil and add the stuffed squid to the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover with a lid.
4) Cook for 45 minutes, stirring once in a wile and turning the calamari over to insure even cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste and turn the heat off. Add a few fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
This sauce is out of this world!! In my family we eat this dish in a couple different ways. We either eat the sauce over linguini or we take crusty Italian bread and put it in the bottom of the bowl and scoop the sauce right on top. OMG it is to die for!!!!!! The stuffed calamari is so perfect and flavorful that you really wont believe you made it and it was so easy. This dish has a very rich feeling to it, you find this dish in some of the best restaurants in Italy. But now you can make it in the comfort of your own home. I cant wait to make this for my Christmas eve dinner!
Report a problem