Cook time20 minutes
- 1-1/2 lbs of Boneless Skinless Chicken thighs, about 4 nice size thighs
- 2 Tbsp of Neutral Oil or Light Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of Ginger Paste or Chopped Ginger
- 1 Tbsp of Chili Paste, I prefer Sambal Oelek
- 3 Tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp of Honey
- 2 tsp of Rice Vinegar or Distilled White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup of Chicken Stock or Water
- Freshly chopped Scallions, optional
- Touch of Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper (not too much salt) and sear in one tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat until it develops some color on both sides, then remove to a plate.
2) Add the remaining tablespoon of oil then add the onions, cook for a few minutes, then add the ginger and garlic and cook one more minute, stir in the chili paste for the last 30 seconds.
3) In a small measuring cup, whisk together the chicken stock, honey, vinegar and soy sauce, pour in the skillet, add the chicken back in, then cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and chicken is fully cooked through. Serve with some rice and steamed veggies for a delicious weeknight dinner!
NOTE: You can absolutely make this recipe using bone in, skin on chicken drumsticks but you will need to cook the chicken in the sauce for a lot longer, so simmer in the sauce with the lid on until the chicken is cooked through and then cook uncovered the last 5 minutes to chicken the sauce.
Report a problem