Cook time4 hours 20 minutes
- 4 to 5lb Chuck Roast
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 Stalks of Celery, cut into large pieces
- 2 Onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and smashed but left whole
- 1-1/2 lb of Baby Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp of Neutral Oil
- 1 Cup of Red Wine
- 2 Cups of Beef Stock
- Pinch of Dried Rosemary or 1 sprig of fresh
- Plenty of Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp of Chopped Parsley
1) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2) In a Dutch oven, add one tablespoon of oil, allow to simmer over medium-high heat, meanwhile, season all sides of your roast well with some salt and pepper, add to the hot pot and allow to sear on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
3) Remove the roast, add the remaining oil along with the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and saute until they begin to take on some color and become fragrant, stir in the flour and cook one more minute while stirring.
4) Add the wine, allow to cook for a minute, then add the beef stock along with the rosemary, add the seared roast back in (nestle it in the liquid) cover with a lid and pop in the oven for about 2 hours.
5) After 2 hours, add the potatoes, (leave them whole if they are small or halve them if they are a bit on the larger side) cover and pop back in the oven for a couple more hours or until the potatoes are tender and beef is falling apart.
6) Once roast is ready, remove to a platter, ladle off any large pools of fat, add the parsley, season the potatoes and sauce with some more salt if needed, then scatter the veggies around the roast and spoon over some of the sauce.
Report a problem