Cook time20 minutes
ServingsMakes a few dozen
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup of Shortening
- 1/2 cup of Butter
- 4-1/2 Cups of Flour
- 6 Eggs
- Pandegliangeli or 2 Tbsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tsp of Anise Extract
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1/4 cup of milkFor the Glaze:
- 1-1/4 cup of Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Water
- 1/4 tsp of Anise Extract
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the shortening, butter and sugar, for about 2 minutes, then add in the eggs, lemon zest and juice and anise extract and mix until well incorporated.
3) Add the flour along with the baking powder and salt, drizzle in the milk and mix until your dough comes together.
4) Take a golf ball size piece of dough, roll it into an 10 inch rope, then fold it in half, give it a couple twists then pinch the ends together to form a circle, place them onto the prepared baking sheet and nestle an egg right in the center if you want to, if not (and i don't) leave the egg out.
5) Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden then let them cool completely.
6) In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze, then drizzle it on the cooled cookies followed by some fun decorative sprinkles.
Report a problem