Cook time4 hours 0 minutes
For the soup:
- 1lb of Dried Navy Beans, rinsed and picked through
- 1 Leftover ham bone
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Stalks of Celery, finely chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 or 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning
- Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8.5oz box of Jiffy Cornbread
- 1 Egg
- 1 14.5oz can of Creamed Corn
- 1 14.5oz of Corn Kernels
- 1/2 cup of Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup of Milk
1) To a large soup pot, add about several quarts of water or low sodium chicken stock (I use water and bouillon powder), along with the beans and ham bone, bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours.
2) At the 2 hour mark, remove the bone, pick off all the meat, add it back in along with the chopped veggies and Italian seasoning, simmer for another hour and half or so, meanwhile, make the cornbread.
3) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, spray the sides with some non stick spray and set aside.
5) In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the cornbread (I sometimes add half of the butter melted and the other half dotted on top but it's not necessary and you can add it all in) bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and feels set, allow to cool.
6) When the soup is ready, adjust the seasoning to taste and serve with some yummy cornbread alongside.
Report a problem