Cook time25 minutes
For the Gingerbread Batter:
- 2 1/3 cups of Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp of Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp of Cloves
- ½ tsp of Salt
- ½ cup of Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup of Molasses
- 1 cup of Sour Cream
- ¼ cup of Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp of Vanilla ExtractFor the Mascarpone Filling:
- 16 oz of Mascarpone Cheese, softened
- 1-½ cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp of Vanilla ExtractFor the Syrup:
- 1 Ginger Tea Bag
- 1 Cup of Sugar
To make the cake:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray, set aside.
2) In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves, set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, lemon zest and sugar for about 1 minute or until fluffy.
4) Add the molasses, eggs and vanilla and mix it for about a minute. Mix in the sour cream, add the dry ingredients and mix the batter long enough to get it all mixed well but don’t over mix.
5) Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake the cake for about 25 minutes or until fully cooked through.
6) Allow the cake to cool completely. When cooled, cut the cake into slices about ½” thick.
Meanwhile, make the syrup.
7) Bring one cup of water to a boil, add the tea bag and turn the heat off, allow the tea bag to steep for a few minutes.
8) Remove the tea bag, turn the heat back on to medium and add the sugar. Let the mixture cook for about 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved, let it cool completely.
Now time to make the filling.
9) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream until stiff peeks form, pour the whipped cream into a bowl, set it in the fridge for a few minutes.
10) In the same bowl, cream together the sugar, mascarpone and vanilla together for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
11) Using a spatula, fold in the whipped heavy cream and set aside.
12) To assemble, take a trifle dish (about 14 cup measure) lay the bottom with about ½ cup of the macarpone filling, then 1/3 of the cake slices (if you have to cut some in half to fit that’s fine) drizzle over 1/3 of the syrup over the cake and top it with 1/3 of the filling. Repeat this layering 2 more times.
13) Cover the trifle with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or best overnight.