Cook time1 hours 0 minutes
- 3 lbs of Fresh Plum Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Large Shallots, peeled and quartered
- 10 Cloves of Garlic, peeled
- 1 cup of Fresh Basil, stems included
- 1 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp of Sugar
- 2 tsp of Dried Oregano
- Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes
- 4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 cup of Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 8 Thin Slices of Baguette
- Mozzarella, thinly sliced, about 4 ounces
- 2 Tbsp of Prepared Pesto
- Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2) In a 9x13 inch baking dish, add all your ingredients except the vegetable stock, toss all together to make sure the oil has coated all of the veggies.
3) Roast the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 15 minutes making sure to give them a toss a couple times.
4)Leave the veggies to cool to room temperature, place your mixture in a blender and puree until smooth, you can also use an immersion blender for this but it might not be as smooth.
5) If youíre using a powerful blender, you wonít need to strain the soup, if however you have big pieces of tomato peel throughout your soup, strain it.
6) Place the creamy mixture in a saucepan, add the stock (add as much as you would like, itís up to you how thin you like your soup), bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
7) Taste it for seasoning and adjust to your liking. Serve right away with a piece of italian grilled cheese on the side for dunking.
8) To make the grilled cheese, spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each slice of bread, (the buttered side should be the outside) spread a tiny bit of pesto on the inside of all the slices, top it with some cheese and place the other slice of bread on top (butter side up).
9) Cook them in a skillet over medium heat for a couple minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
Report a problem