Cook time10 minutes
ServingsServes 8 to 10
For the filling:
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 8 oz of Bittersweet Chocolate
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 8 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperatureAdditional Ingredients:
- 1 cup of Heavy Cream, whipped to semi stiff peaks (you won’t need to do this until you’re ready to serve)
- 1 9 inch Pie crust, Baked and cooled
1) In a medium size bowl, whip the cream until it develops stiff peaks (but still pillowy) using a handheld electric whisk and then pop it in the fridge to stay cold.
2) Set up a double boiler by adding about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a saucepan and placing a heat proof bowl over top (make sure the bowl fits on the pot but that the bottom does not touch the water) add the eggs and sugar and using a handheld electric whisk, whisk on medium speed for exactly 10 minutes, remove the bowl from the double boiler and set aside while you melt the chocolate.
3) In a small bowl, melt the chocolate either in the microwave or over the double boiler, once melted, set aside.
4) Add half of the chocolate and butter to the egg and sugar mixture, whisk with the electric whisk until incorporated then add the rest and whisk on medium speed for 6 minutes.
5) Fold in the whipped cream, pour the custard filling in your prepared pan, pop it in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
6) When ready to serve, top with the freshly whipped cream and shave over some chocolate!