Cook time1 hours 30 minutes
ServingsServes 6 to 8
- 1-1/4 cups of Arborio Rice or any other short grain rice
- 1 lb of Broccoli Florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup of Flour
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 cups of Milk, whole or 2%
- 1 tsp of Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp of Granulated Onion
- 1 tsp of Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp of Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 tsp of Celery Salt
- 1/2 tsp of Paprika
- 1/4 tsp of Freshly Ground Black Pepper, or more to taste
- 8 oz of Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 2/3 cup of Sour Cream
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Fill a large pot with water and a generous pinch of salt, bring to a boil, add the rice and cook it for half the time it recommends on the package, 5 minutes before the rice is there, add the broccoli florets, finish cooking then drain in a colander and set aside while you work on the sauce.
2) In the same pot, add the butter, onions and garlic and sweat them out for a few minutes or until translucent (donít need to develop any color) then add the flour, stir it all in for a minute then add the milk and stock and whisk well to get rid of any flour lumps and simmer while stirring the whole time until the mixture thickens.
3) Add in all the seasonings, whisk them in to combine well, then add the 2/3 of the cheese and sour cream followed by the partially cooked and drained rice and broccoli.
4) Give everything a good stir (at this point the mixture is runny and thatís exactly what you want because the rice will soak up the sauce as it cooks) pour into a greased baking dish, cover with foil and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes.
5) After 30 minutes, remove the foil, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese, pop it in the oven uncovered for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, allow to cool a bit before serving.
Report a problem