Cook time7 hours 0 minutes
For the Pork:
- 4 lb of Boneless Pork shoulder
- 1 cup of Beer, I like using an amber Lager
- Couple slices onions
- 1 Tbsp of Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Dried Mustard
- 1 tsp of Granulated Garlic
- Salt, to taste
- A Couple cups of BBQ sauceFor the Slaw:
- 4 cups of shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Scallions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1 tsp of Celery Salt
- 1/2 cup of Mayo
- 1 Tbsp of Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of granulated garlic
1) In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, brown sugar, mustard, granulated garlic and plenty of salt, rub this mixture really well on both sides of the pork, then place the pork in a slow cooker, add the onions around it, add the beer, place a lid on and cook it on high for about 6 hours or until it falls apart.
2) While the pork cooks, make the slaw. In a large bowl, add the coleslaw mix, jalapeno and scallions and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, celery salt, sugar, granulated garlic and a pinch of salt (taste and adjust with more spices of more vinegar or mayo) pour this mixture into the coleslaw mixture, toss together well, cover and pop in the fridge until ready to eat.
3) Remove the cooked pork from the slow cooker, allow it to cool so you can handle it, shred it as fine as you like, making sure to discard the fatty pieces, then place the pork in a large pan thatís safe to go straight on the grill ( I like using a disposable foil baking dish for this) add the BBQ sauce, along with some of the cooking liquid, and place it on a hot grill to cook for about an hour on medium heat until the edges of the meat caramelize a bit and the sauce is thick and bubbly.
3) Serve on buttered toasted brioche buns with a heaping spoonful of spicy slaw!
NOTE: The amount of coleslaw written here will be enough to top 8 sandwiches (I do this because we have exactly 8 adults and 6 kids over to eat this usually and the kids DO NOT like coleslaw so in order to not waste any, i cut the recipe in half. If you plan on making it for the full 12 people, make extra slaw!)