Cook time minutes
- 1 cup of Cooked White Rice
- 2 cups of Cremini Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped Zucchini
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 3 Tbsp of Kalamata Olives, pitted and chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of Basic Tomato and Basil Marinara Sauce (see my other recipe)
- 2 Large Red Bell Peppers
- Fresh grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cut the tops off the peppers and remove all the white veins and seeds. Slice a very small amount off the bottom to give the peppers “feet” so they stand up nicely without falling. Set aside.
3) In a large non stick skillet over medium high heat, cook the onions and mushroom in the 1 tbsp of oil for about 7 minutes or until the veggies are nicely cooked down and brown around the edges. Add the zucchini, garlic and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the chopped olives, basil, cooked rice, half a cup of the marinara sauce and about ¼ cup of freshly grated parmiggiano reggiano. Spoon the rice mixture in the peppers and put the peppers in a small baking dish and pour the remaining marinara sauce around them.
4) Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. After the 45 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle over some more parmiggiano reggiano and bake uncovered for 15 or 20 more minutes.
5) Carefully place the peppers on a serving dish and spoon the sauce around them. Serve with a little more fresh basil if you like and enjoy!
6) Stuffed peppers are a classic Italian dish that I grew up eating and loving! However I also love playing around with them and the possibilities are endless with the different flavors you can stuff them with. Traditionally they are stuffed with ground beef and rice and other yummy things, but I wanted to make a lighter version but one that was still filling and satisfying and this one is a winner. Not only is it delicious but pretty cheap too because you can use anything you have on hand. As long as you have a good marinara sauce to cook them in they will come out awesome! Try these out for a healthy and satisfying dinner that needs nothing else to round it out because everything is all in that pepper, the veggies, pasta and sauce. Yum!!