Cook time20 minutes
ServingsMakes 12 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- Zest of one Orange
- Juice of 1/2 of an Orange
- 2 tsp of Vanilla PasteFor the Strawberry Mixture:
- 1-1/2 cups of Fresh Strawberries, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Sugar
- Zest of 1/2 Orange
- 1 tsp of Corn Starch
- 1 Tbsp of Orange Juice or WaterWhipped Cream:
- 1-1/4 cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp of Confectioner Sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Orange Zest, optional
To make the cupcakes:
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
2) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
3) In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the orange zest, vanilla paste, orange juice and eggs and cream together until you get a smooth mixture. Add the dry ingredients and with the speed on low mix together, slowly adding the milk and mix everything to combine.
4) Scoop the batter into your lined cupcake tin, make sure it's only filled 3/4 of the way up because they will rise. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes and let cool for about 45 minutes before frosting.
To make the strawberry mixture:
5) In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch In the orange juice and set aside.
6) In a medium saucepan, combine the berries, sugar and orange zest. Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil stirring often until the sugar dissolves.
7) Add the cornstarch mixture and cook for 1 more minute, allow to cool completely
To make the whipped cream:
8) Make the whipped topping by whisking together the cream, orange zest, vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
9) Using a melon baller or small ice cream scoop, scoop out the center of each cupcake. Fill with about 1 Tbsp of the strawberry mixture and pipe with some of the whipped cream.
10) Top each cupcake with either a slice of strawberry or leave them as is!