Cook time4 hours 0 minutes
- 2-1/2 lb Piece of Pork Shoulder, trimmed of as much fat as possible
- 1-1/2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 tsp of Chili Powder
- 2 tsp of Dried Onion Flakes
- 1 tsp of Oregano
- 1 tsp of Cumin
1) Add the oil in heavy duty pot (use a pot that's big enough to hold everything but not too big otherwise the liquid will evaporate too quickly) allow it to get nice and hot over medium high heat.
2) Season the pork well with some salt and pepper all over, sear it on all sides to develop some color, remove it to a plate, discard any fat left in the bottom of the pot.
3) Add the pork back in the pot, in a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of water, the orange juice, garlic, chili powder, onion flakes, oregano and cumin, pour the mixture over the pork, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for about 3 hours or until the pork is tender.
4) After 3 hours, remove the lid and cook for an additional 20 minutes or so or until the liquid has evaporated quite a bit.
5) Shred the pork using 2 forks (or your hands) then add it back in the same pot and cook it over medium high heat to crisp it up a bit. If your pot is a little too dry, add a touch of vegetable oil to prevent anything from sticking.
Serve as you wish!