Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 1145
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 8Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
For the dough:
4 cups of All Purpose Flour
1-1/2 cups of Warm Water
1/2 cup of Lard
2 Tsp of Salt
2-1/2 tsp of Active Dry Yeast plus one teaspoon of sugar
For the filling:
2 cups of chopped salumi such as salami, prosciutto and provolone and a grating of parmesan
1/2 tsp of finely ground black pepper
1/4 cup of Cold Lard
1) To make the dough, add the yeast and sugar to the bowl with the warm water and set aside until foamy.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, add flour and salt along with the yeast mixture and the lard and knead for about 4 minutes or until the dough comes together. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
3) Punch the dough, add the filling (except for the eggs) mix it all well throughout the dough, shape it into a large log and pinch the ends together to seal it.
4) Place the dough in an oiled round baking pan (I stuff the center with aluminum foil so it leaves a hole) then make 4 slits, one on each side, stuff an egg into each slit and with the leftover dough cut out little pieces to make strips and lay 2 strips in the shape of a cross on top of each egg (watch video for visual instructions).
5) Cover the casatiello with a lint free kitchen towel and place it somewhere warm to rise until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
6) Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until deeply golden brown, allow to cool slightly before serving.