Cook time35 minutes
ServingsServes 12 to 16, depending on size
For the cake:
- 1 box of Vanilla Cake mix prepared according to package instructionsFor the vanilla pudding:
- 2-1/2 cups of Whole Milk
- 3 Tbsp of Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tbsp of vanilla Extract
- Pinch of SaltFor the remaining ingredients:
- 3 Bananas, sliced
- 1-1/4 cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup of Powdered Sugar
- Splash of vanilla
- Couple Tablespoons of Crushed Graham Crackers or Vanilla wafers
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and set aside. Prepare the cake as instructions advise and bake until fully cooked through.
2) While the cake bakes, make the pudding. In a saucepan, add the milk and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a bowl, using a hand held electric whisk, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and salt for a couple of minutes or until thick and pale in color.
3) While whisking, drizzle in about a cup of the simmering milk then pour the whole thing back into the saucepan with the remaining milk and cook while constantly stirring on low heat until really thick, about 4 to 5 minutes. Strain the pudding through a fine sieve, then stir in the vanilla and set the pudding aside to cool for about 20 minutes while the cake cools as well.
4) Poke holes all around the cake using the end of a wooden spoon, then pour the pudding all over the top making sure to tap the cake on the counter a couple times to make sure the pudding sinks in, cover the cake with some plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
5) In a bowl, whisk the cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until it develops semi stiff peaks, set aside.
6) Make a layer of bananas all over the top of the cake, then smear the whipped cream all over the top, followed by a sprinkle of the crushed cookies. Cut and serve!